Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What Are You Doing Now?

What Are You Doing Now?

Isn’t it interesting to look back at what you thought you wanted to be when you were younger and see where you are today? When I was a boy growing up in Kansas, I wanted to be an airplane pilot. That dream evolved into being a fighter pilot or flying stunt planes.

When I was in high school, my father persuaded me that a hearing loss in my right ear would prevent a career in aviation so I took an interest in sports cars and racing. I changed my dream to design and build high performance sports cars. I even went to college and majored in Automotive Technology to work towards that goal.

Upon graduation from college, I went to work in Phoenix Arizona pursuing a career in the automotive world. I soon realized that the automotive career (I was on my fourth job within a year) wasn’t satisfying. I wasn’t feeling fulfilled in what I was doing.

While in state college, pursuing an automotive career, I was also involved in preaching at my home church in Osage City Kansas. During three summers and the school year between the second and third summer, I preached on weekends at Osage City Christian Church. I felt a satisfaction from that which was missing from the automotive work I was doing in Arizona after graduation from college.

This led me to a career crossroads that put me on a pathway into Christian ministry. Where has your journey through life taken you? Are you on a different path than what you envisioned five, ten, twenty or more years ago?

In Matthew 4:18-22, Jesus called four men, who were working as successful fishermen, to leave their trade and become “fishers of men”. They were quite satisfied and skilled in what they were doing. Why would they ever imagine doing anything else? Even in their wildest dreams, they would never have imagined the journey that Jesus was calling and training them to take.

Less than three years later, Peter, Andrew, James and John became the key leaders in a revolution that is still impacting the world today. As young men, they never thought that they would be four of the twelve men who studied at the feet of the Messiah and would be the primary carriers of that message to the world. In their early years, they had no knowledge that they would be leaders and key players in God’s eternal Kingdom – the Church.

What are you doing now? Are you in the career that you chose as a child or young adult, or have you embarked in a different direction than originally planned? If you are reading this, you are most likely a Christian (although some may be reading this from simple curiosity). How has your walk with Jesus Christ changed the plans and goals in your life? Are you seeking how God can use you to be a “fisher of men”?


No comments: