Search This Blog

Saturday, September 4, 2010

What Really Matters in Life?

What Really Matters in Life?
This thought comes from the text in Matthew 16:26 – “For what will it profit a man, if he gains the whole world and forfeits his life? Or what shall a man give in return for his life?”

We spend so much time trying to acquire money and the things money can buy with the idea that the more we have, the happier we will be. Although I still pursue an income, I did realize years ago that it is not about money or things. When I got a “thing” that I had wanted for some time, I quickly realized that there were still other “things” on which I was basing my happiness. Even if I could have all of the “things” I wanted, I would still not be happy.

What really gives me the most happiness is when I do something for you. It is a double joy when you recognize what I have done and express your thanks or appreciation of my efforts.
Rick Warren begins his book, Purpose Driven, with the phrase – “It’s not about you.” It doesn’t matter whether you are the richest man in the world or the poorest. It doesn’t matter if you have all the “things” you want or not. The only thing that matters is to use your life to help others and be a witness for Jesus Christ.

We can’t “buy” our way into eternal life in Heaven, but we can lay up treasures for eternity (Matthew 6:19-21) by doing things that benefit other people. The quality of work you do on your job benefits others and is a witness for how Christ is working in your life.
I often give out a wall hanging with Getting To Know Jesus – Volume 01 that says: “Only One Life – Will Soon Be Past. Only What’s Done For Christ – Will Last. To me, that says it all regarding what life is about.

Learn more about this passage and event in the life of Christ in Lesson 071 in Getting To Know Jesus - Volume 06.

No comments: